Sunday, February 1, 2015

Mexico City, Massive Cold Front, All too Present Death

Catherine was frustrated. The man at the nursing home had decided to die early. How rude. He wasn’t supposed to leave for at least two more years. This was not going the way Catherine intended. The Plan does not work that way. The Plan always works.


“Several killed today in a blast at a maternity hospital in downtown Mexico City. Many are mourning the loss of children and women alike.”


At least something was going according to The Plan.


Catherine casually flicked off the television suspended in the corner of the bar and returned to the pleasant tedium of wiping down used glasses. Cognizant of how devoid of life the room was, Catherine sighed. And Lenny chose that moment to come barging in.


“Hey Cat! You seen all these fires around town? Weird ain’t it!”


Catherine stepped into the still night air to see these fires for herself. That night she was being called to the children’s home. “Memento mori,” she would whisper as the child slipped away. Another peaceful journey, just as hard as any other.


A woman, dancing in and out of the shadows that danced in the light of the fire. Catherine paused to examine the soft face of a mother untouched by age.
Catherine couldn't stay long. She had a feeling, which was never a good sign.


“You will find her.” Catherine reached out a hand to the woman, offering peace. She smiled, offering warmth. “I hope to see you again.”


“Thank you Joanne. Now let’s send it over Joe for the today’s forecast.” “Thank you. We have a huge front moving into today folks. I’m talking record low temperatures for this time of the year. High winds, snow overnight, it’s going to be crazy!”
The last time The Plan deviated, it had been his doing. If history repeats itself, he had decided to stop playing by the rules again.


Her anger brought a stillness and a blanket of cold upon the town, muffling the noises of life.


Time for an intervention.


The man was walking down a sidewalk. As he passed by an alleyway, Catherine chose that moment to emancipate herself from the shadows holding both her and her anger back.


“Hello Clive. Hello… Lucifer. I see you have decided to stop playing nice.”


“Hey babe, take it ea-”


The darkness seemed to arc from Catherine, almost as if it had a life of it’s own, as Catherine slammed the feeble body and its unwitting passenger into the wall of the alley. Tendrils of shadow engulfing them both.


“First off. I am not your babe. No one talks to me like that. Secondly, the minute you start taking lives, the minute you begin to interfere with The Plan, I will speed up Clive’s chapter. I will take him from you so quickly-”

"God you're sexy when you're angery."


"Did you not hear me?"


Clive sneered: “Ha! You think that will stop me? There is always another Catherine. Or should I call you Mrityu? Śmierć? Malach HaMavet? Dea-


“Death is all too present for the families of the protesters who clashed with police yesterday. Protesters turned violent after the local authorities refused to meet any of their demands for change.”


Catherine’s hand closed around his throat and the air seemed to be laced with ice. There was a palpable drop in temperature, even as the nearby fires surged and danced in their braziers.


“Do not.


Say.


It.


We are done here. You have been warned.”


She melted back into the shadows so quickly, one might wonder if she had ever been there at all.


Her voice hung in the air even after she was gone. “Do not threaten me tempter. I will end you. Or our mutual friend will.”


“Reports are coming in that the second Japanese hostage was beheaded early this morning. With have yet to confirm the authenticity of the claim.”


Emperor, your sword won’t help you out
Sceptre and crown are worthless here
I’ve taken you by the hand


For you must come to my dance.

10 comments:

  1. Hey babe. It's me again. I think we need to have a little chat. Email me. CliveBuccatti@gmail.com. Alright. TTFN. Ta-ta for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of you are geniuses. If you could publish your emails that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not seek to trifle in matters beyond your comprehension. Play nice with the lady Clive. And do stop by Joe's Miriam. We would appreciate your service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is as you say my love. You speak of god as though you know him. You say "God does not pick favorites" but he does. I was his favorite. Then I stepped too close to the sun and had my wings burned. Now they burn forever. You cannot take away anything I have not already lost. In short: Bring it on bitch. Let's dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even God cannot create death. God can take lives and God can give them. But I can from an apple. Oh yes, I know God well. Him and I have had some run ins over the years. But even the gods must die. There is nothing that I cannot take away. I am everywhere, and I am nowhere. I am everything and I am nothing.

    Have you heard of the danse macabre? It is the dance of death. Look it up. I have had much practice over the years. I will tear up both you and the dance floor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wouldn't exist without me. Without me you are nothing but that succulent fruit. I am reason you are here. I gave you life, gave you meaning. And though I cannot take it away I can disrupt your little plan. And without that what are? Nothing but a slave to my actions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is a boy to play with if his mother takes all of his playthings away?

    ReplyDelete